My First Week of Work!


posted by Jessica on ,

No comments

So it is 7pm on a Friday which means that I have officially finished my first week of work. Whew.

It was an eventful week starting my first 'real' adult job. All week I have pretty much been shadowing my boss, watching her send e-mails and answer phone calls. It was a sort of passive-training where I pretty much just watch her do stuff while I took notes and made little drawings of stick brides.

Wednesday is when my week got sticky. I got into a fender-bender on my lunch break which lead to me crying my mother, hysterically crying and worrying that I had suffered brain damage as a result of the trauma. I'm a big baby at times.

Thursday I ended up going to the ER during my break to get treatment for a painful UTI that I have had since Monday and just ignored because I was so nervous about my first week of work and didn't want to ask for time off. Yeah, it is generally never ever a good idea to ignore a UTI. Like never. So that was fun to have to share with my new boss.

This morning I took off the morning to have an interview with a women's shelter in the area. I did lie to my boss about why I was taking the morning off (I told her I needed a follow-up for my ER visit the day before) and I feel super guilty about it. I hate lying. But I was so interested in this job. And I have been kind of stressed about having to maybe quit my job if I took this one. Basically, I stress a lot about things. Working on it.

But the interview went really well and I learned that the position is actually part-time. The center operates two shelters for victims of domestic violence and there are about a dozen 'relief workers' that take shifts operating 24 hours. We are just required to take a minimum of two shifts per month so it would be perfect for me: I can still keep my job working for a wedding company while simultaneously satisfying my non-profit, 'I need to help the world' urge.

I am also going to start taking classes at a university near my work to in Spanish, Middle Eastern cooking and belly dancing. 

I love how settled I am becoming and am loving getting into a routine after I have spent so many years traveling the world and being so restless. 

Never thought I would ever utter that sentence in my life. But, so what? I'm happy.

Leave a Reply