Job Search Updates


posted by Jessica on

No comments

So since I decided to stay in the States to follow my heart and whatnot, I have been trying to find a full-time, 'real', adult job. I want to settle down, get a reliable 9-5 and get a paycheck in the week that can attempt to cover food, rent and gas.

I started applying for jobs on January 4. I know that because I have kept an Excel spreadsheet of every single job that I have applied for. I wanted to keep a record, just to see how many replies I got and as a way to gauge my process. A very frustrating process.

But thankfully this past week has opened the floodgates to requests for interviews and follow-ups. And I have some amazing leads.

For instance, I brushed up on my networking skills and visited the non-profit where I had volunteered and later worked while in high school. I brought cupcakes and a smile after not seeing everyone there for over four years. I explained my predicament- how I was now looking for a job, preferably in non-profits- and they were so supportive. They both have sent me leads for contacts. One is with Catholic Charities, an organization I had applied to independently before and had yet to hear anything. But now I have the contact information for two Executive Directors, including a phone Q&A with one of them for tomorrow to learn about some opportunities with Boston non-profits.

I also have an interview lined up for a destination wedding website, an admissions counselor and a phone interview at an organization that advocates for Israel on college campuses that I really respect and admire.

It's amazing how frustrated I was just a week ago and now I am overwhelmed with opportunities and have two interviews on Friday alone! I am awed by the power of networking and am so thankful that I still have these connections to work with.

The only downside is that most of these jobs are in Boston and due to the boyfriend needing to be close to his work, it looks like I will have to commute each day. According to my mother, "thousands of people do it each day and they are fine with it". But for some reason, the thought of having to commute every day makes me really want to run away. And one of the jobs requires that I travel 50% of the time to different college campuses. It's a great sounding job but egh. I hate driving on the highway. One of my adorable little quirks.

So I am super positive and excited for the new opportunities that will hopefully begin to start unveiling themselves. Sending out good vibes!

Leave a Reply