Sick in Bed


posted by Jessica on , ,

No comments

So I had a really exciting start to my weekend... And then it all went downhill from there.

After waking up bright and early, I dragged my bushy-tailed self to a the commuter rail so I could head into Boston and from there take a 4 hour bus ride on the majestic Fung-Wah into New York City to visit my friend Jonas, who is from Holland and studying in New York City for the semester.

The bus ride was fun, filled with a lot of naps and the Blueprint 3 on repeat. It was amazing to see Jonas again and although we hadn't seen each other in over a year and a half, it felt like just a couple of weeks. I love easy friendships like that.

We walked around the city, grabbed some bagels for lunch and at night hit up the Museum of Modern Art for their free Friday night special.

Don't we look so happy together?
I know that I work in an art 'gallery' at my local mall and took one art history class in college, so technically that does make me an art connoisseur, but I do not understand modern art. There was this once piece that was a four-legged stool with a bicycle wheel attached to it. Legit. And then another piece where it was thousands of silver-wrapped candies strewn on the floor that was symbolic of HIV/AIDS. Yeah, that was lost on me. But for free candy, I was totally into it.

I did manage to find some van Gogh and got giddy to see his Starry Night piece. We sell at least a dozen of those 'replicas' in my art 'gallery', so it was nice to see an original. Plus, my co-worker and I have a hilarious inside joke about that particular piece and she got a kick out of my picture I texted to her.

After the museum, we headed to the Lower East Side and grabbed some thai food that was delicious. Also, beer for a $1. Won me over.

After that we walked down to this cool underground bar that had no sign and from the outside looked like it was just some hole in the wall dump. But inside it was super cool, totally hipster and the menu was just craft beer. Major score. It was fun to sample different beers and catch up at the same time.

We got to sleep around 3am. Seriously, this city never sleeps. The next morning, though, I got a sad call. My grandfather who has been battling multiple melanoma cancer passed away around 10 in the morning. My mom called me crying and although we had been expecting his death, it still felt a little surreal. 

I ultimately decided to catch a bus back home because all I wanted was to be with my family and Pedro. And around six hours later, I ended up home. So, all in all- I only spent about 20 hours in NYC and took around 10 hours getting there but it was still totally worth it to see Jonas. He looked amazing and was settling in so incredibly well. I get so giddy and happy when my friends are well- it feels like their success is also my success. Yeah I be riding on their coattails. 

It was nice to surprise Pedro at work, who still thought I was in NYC. It was also nice to just kind of cry with him and have him rub my back and just be there. I kind of held in all the sadness so that when we were finally alone and calm, I could just let myself go.

But now after my little adventure, I have found myself sick in bed with a head cold and I feel exhausted and crappy. But I am watching this show, the Voice, for the first time and I can see why it is so addicting. Much better than American Idol.

So later tonight will hopefully be spent in bed with Pedro, watching a movie and eating soup. A secret, little devlish side of me is kind of excited to see how Pedro handles me being sick and how well he takes care of me. I have always been a little spoiled- and whenever I get sick I always had friends or family to take care of me and completely pamper me. So we shall see... :)

Leave a Reply