Still Sick... Only Slightly Less Pathetic


posted by Jessica on , ,

No comments

So I am still sick. But I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. And by that, I mean my mommy is coming home so she can come and take care of me. Yeah, I'm 23 years old. Don't judge.

My mom's friend, Carrie, who is a Raki healer is convinced that I am sick because of the death of my grandfather. I think I just caught something when I was taking a $15 bus trip to New York City on something called the "Fung Wah" bus. I should be grateful that all I got was a cold, and not some weird fungus that is indigenous to only some jungle climates.

Anyways... Me being sick has forced Pedro into looking after me which he has actually embraced, so I am impressed. He even makes me my Theraflu tea before bed and watches me to make sure I drink every drop of it. 

Unfortunately for him, me being sick brings out my 'inner diva'. On a normal day, I am pretty high maintenance. I like to be texted, like simple little reminders of your undying love for me, sometimes (all the times) I enjoy a free meal. When I am sick, my divaness goes into overdrive. But it's not like a cool and empowered diva like Mariah or Beyonce. It's like pathetic, needy diva who wants a tissue and to have a manservant constantly readjusting the thermastat. And well, while you're up, a glass of water too. Not too much ice. 


This week has flown by though. I don't know how I suddenly woke up and it was Friday. I think most of my time has been spent in bed, watching HGTV and stalking coupon blogs. I am gearing up for a good shopping trip on Sunday at my CVS, and my mom will finally be back so she can bask in the glory of the 2 free toothpastes and eyeliner I plan on purchasing. If I am feeling daring, I might even try to get some razor cartridges.

I finally went clothes shopping for the first time in about 2 months yesterday though. I had some serious withdrawals- but I had a $20 off coupon for TJ Maxx and I decided to go for it. Somehow, I ended up with $80 worth of clothes but between the Mexican feast I had last night and the two donuts I managed to shove in my mouth this morning (oh why, why did I eat those?) I am sure I will be returning at least half of my purchased goods.

The dresscode at the new job that I'm starting Monday is technically business-casual. But all I know of business-casual is the DC version of business-casual which, from my experiences traveling this massive globe, is that everything in DC is 'special' and so I can't really apply the life lessons I learned in DC because DC is such a weird microcosm of the real world that is so bizarre at times.

So I think I am going to wing it with some black skinnies from Express, a nice print top and maybe a blazer that I can casually toss aside and be like "Oh this old thing" and throw it on a chair if I look like a complete douche. 

The more I think about it actually, it seems like the more nervous I get about this job. I mean, this is my first real post-college job. I have a cubicle and everything (It's not weird that I already have a Pinterest board specifically for "cubicle decoration", right?). 

But it is a good excited. Like the kind of excited I get when I know that there's going to be a 12 hour Law & Order: SVU marathon. But I am still soliciting any advice for starting a new/first job. Any cool conversational topic ideas? Or help me pick out an outfit! I'll take anything. Seriously... equal opportunity advice/help solicitor here :)

Leave a Reply